Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sticky Buns

Sticky buns are cinnamon rolls with a sticky gooey topping crusted with pecans. I made these last night for my daughter-in-law because she is pregnant and was experiencing low blood sugar. This should do the trick. Oops, that's not what the doctor had in mind?

This is actually the vegan version that I make for a local outlet. Since vegan means no honey, butter, or eggs, these are made with agave, butter substitute, and egg substitute. While I love butter, these are actually quite delicious without real butter... plus I melt a little butter onto the hot bun anyhow before I eat it.

The texture of the bread is light and not too sweet. The filling is deeply cinnamony (I use Saigon cinnamon) but not too sweet. I like it when the filling sticks to the inside of the roll, rather than running out onto the pan. The sweet part is on top. We use some agave in it, which has a lower glycemic index than sugar so you are a little less inclined to jog around the world after eating one.

No comments: